Just as we see the release of Hugh Jackman’s latest film, The Wolverine, we see that he’s going to be back again in next year’s X-Men: Days of Future Past!
Judging by all the pictures and casting news, it’s already shaping up to be the biggest X-Men movie by quite a long way, with a star-studded cast that makes even The Avengers look like a low budget indie.
Here’s what we know about it so far:
1. It’s based on a 1980 comic book arc of the same name from The Uncanny X-Men.
Written and drawn by the British team of Chris Claremont and John Byrne, the original story is set partially in a future where all Mutants have either been killed or sent to internment camps patrolled by giant robots.
But whereas in the comic, Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page’s character from the film) was sent back in time to warn the X-Men of this apocalyptic future. From what we’ve gleamed, it’s Wolverine who will be making like Marty McFly.
2. It will star the cast of 2010′s X-Men: First Class… that’s Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult as Beast, James McAvoy as Professor X and Michael Fassbender as Magneto. In fact, the Master of Magnetism will be sporting quite a familiar colour:
3. It will also see the return of the original cast… including Halle Berry as Storm and Anna Paquin as Rogue. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan also reprise their roles as the older Professor X and Magneto:
But wait… wasn’t Xavier disintegrated at the end of X-Men: The Last Stand?
4. It also marks the return of the original director. This is Bryan Singer’s first film in the franchise since 2003′s X-Men 2: a movie considered by many (including us) to be the best of the bunch.
5. There will be a number of new characters from the Marvel back-catalog including:
A fan favourite, Bishop is a freedom fighter from the future who’s power is his ability to ‘store and re-direct energy’. He’ll be played by Omar Sy, who impressed audiences last year with his performance in the French feel-good comic-drama The Intouchables.
Not exactly one of the Marvel universes biggest names, Blink has become a favourite at cosplay conventions in recent years. Her power is the ability to teleport herself and the things around her. She’ll be played by popular Chinese actress Fan Bingbing.
A Native-American mutant with superhuman strength, speed and recovery, Warpath will be played by Booboo Stewart, whose highest profile gig thus far was as one of the Wolf-people in Twilight.
Seeing the rise of mutants as a threat to humanity, military contractor Bolivar Trask created the Sentinals: giant robots programmed to hunt down the likes of Rogue and Iceman. He’s played by Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones.
But you don’t need us to tell you how exciting this film is going to be! Just check the trailer out for yourself:
It won’t be long now. X-Men: Days of Future Past opens 22 May 2014
Buy and Rent The Wolverine at blinkbox now