1. One of Stallone’s first film roles was as ‘Subway Thug #1’ in Woody Allen’s Bananas.
2. Stallone directed the sequel to Saturday Night Fever in 1983.
3. He has also dabbled in the fine arts since the 70s.
Stallone was recently invited to show his works at the Russian Museum in St Petersburg.
4. In 2011, Stallone was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
5. Before his big break, he starred in a soft-core adult film called Party at Kitty and Stud’s. He, of course, played the protagonist, Stud.
After the success of Rocky, Playboy retitled the film ‘The Italian Stallion’ and released this (rather SFW) trailer. It even features some eerily familiar music.
6. For a period of three years in the 80s, he was married to his Rocky IV co-star Brigitte Nielsen. This union provided Celebrity Big Brother with its greatest ever moment in 2005, when Stallone’s mother Jackie was reunited with her former daughter-in-law.
7. Speaking of Big Brother, Sly’s younger sibling Frank is a professional musician.
Last December, he auctioned off the privilege of having him gate-crash your New Year’s Eve party (see above). Frank’s only Top 100 hit was 1983’s Far From Over. It featured on the soundtrack of Staying Alive, a film that was coincidentally directed by his big brother!
8. He briefly dipped his toe into the world of monthly periodicals as the publisher of Sly magazine.
9. Stallone is a prolific screenwriter.
On top of every single Rocky picture, he’s had screenplay credits on such eternal classics as Cliffhanger, Over the Top and Driven. In fact, he wrote the new Jason Statham action-thriller Homefront, which is now out on blinkbox!
Homefront is now available at blinkbox